Monday, March 21, 2011

Update for March 21, 2011


Introduction - Looks like the updates are turning into more monthly in frequency than weekly! This blog is about transition time - a lot has happened. The key word is, "Courage" thus my photo of Johnny from the Houston zoo and "surrender" to what unfolds.

The Update - At last blog, John and I were headed for Houston for the 5th hyperthermia treatment. Prior to the treatment, I had to undergo a PET and CT Scan to see of the changes from the previous two treatments. Unfortunately things were slightly worse with a spot on the liver and lung and there was a blood clot near my port. With the blood clot, they would not undertake a hyperthermia treatment. Six treatments was always the limit, but it looks as if four is mine. Thus, I received a couple of chemo treatments and called it good. Next step was to determine what strategy -- more chemo and in Missoula or Houston??

However, prior to any rational discussion about chemo treatments, I had a seizure while waiting in the car for John to pick up a pizza. Poor John to find me unconscious, he called the ambulance and I took a ride to the hospital. There I spent a week recovering. The neurologist diagnosed it as "press syndrome" where my body was trying to protect my brain - I had high blood pressure, etc. - don't understand all the technical details. Anyway in discussion with oncologist and hospitalist, decided to end the chemo treatments.

I'm happy about ending the chemo treatments and having more quality of life while I have it - more energy. I signed up with Hospice (which is more than just end of life) where my medications can be better managed and we have access to and regular visits from nurses. It greatly relieves John's and my role in knowing much about the meds and quantities.

My Focus - Last blog I mentioned all the reading I was doing - I still have my pile but find my attention turning towards writing. I want to leave something about me to my grandchildren and to create a fun, light little book, "About Grandmothers". Since I get a lot of insight from you all on what it's like to be a grandmother, I open the invitation for you to share that special photo and experience that you had with your grandchild; or those special moments or values/wisdom that you would contribute! Please send to my email address: kmcmenus@msn.com. Thanks in advance!

Featured Friends(s) - Tom and Bonnie McMenus - My wonderful brother is 11 years younger than me so I got to play "mom" at an early age and now at this age, I feel younger around him. He and Bonnie (two to right in photo - Madeline, my landscape designer to left) spent the good part of the 2009 summer redoing our back and front patios and driveway. I got to see Tom in action on the machinery - such finese he has in breaking and moving concrete. Bonnie, on the other hand, is the lead in the design and concrete finisher. She's a perfectionist and enjoys her art so it was really fun to be a part of their work life. In the meantime, I've known them both more from our times at the lake. They exemplify the values of "play" that I seem to have lost the gene on. They have the boat and jet skiis as well as the "card game" skills for closing the evening. I am so grateful for the relationships that they have nurtured with Pat, Molly, Colin, and Maddy along with the rest of the clan. Love you Tom and Bonnie!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. And you are breaking my heart.

    I was thinking today about the song we sang in the Chi O house.

    With the shades of evening
    There must be no grieving...

    I love you so. You are in my thoughts at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter adores you and I am in awe of you. I have five friends including you fighting that blasted cancer right now. I send up a prayer each day, for strength and wisdom and grace for everyone touched by this disease. The circle is wide and the thoughts and prayers are many.
    With love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete