Friday, July 30, 2010

Update for July 30, 2010


Introduction
I've finally gotten around to posting information about my health situation and hope to do so on a weekly basis. I have so appreciated the cards, letter, prayers that you are sending my way - you don't even have to send anything, my thoughts roll to you and I feel the loving energy of support. I appreciate all the friends and family who are in the strong mix, but as well all those whom I didn't know that well or who have become new acquaintances.

In part I'm doing this because I can't keep up with all those are wondering how I am doing. I've sent a few updates out thru the Forest Service Network, but no longer want to burden such mailings with someone who is off in retirement. With those who are interested, you can save the blog as a favorite.

For this post, I thought I'd try to recapture my diagnosis and outlook and briefly mention current therapies and next steps. In further blogs, I will explain those therapies and update on next ventures.

I might have a question for you here and there and appreciate any comments you might have.

Diagnosis and Outlook
In late March, I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma pancreatic cancer - a large advanced tumor that is not removable because it is wrapped around a major artery. Additional testing was done in Seattle at Virginia Mason to examine the extent of the spread. Thru laparoscopy procedure into the abdomen, it was determined that none of the other organs were compromised at this time, however, malignant cells were found in a wash of the peritoneum. This means that I have peritoneum disease or metasis in the abdomen. This complicates just focusing on the tumor.

According to the oncologists, this puts me in a "control the disease" vs a "cure the disease" state. The Gemzar chemotherapy drug is currently aiming to do this. Fortunately between the 2 CAT scans we have seen no change in the tumor. In the meantime, It's given me time to focus other aspects of my health....what are the stressors to my body? what therapies can stimulate my immune system, my health? what should I be eating? what supplements should I be taking? are there other anti-cancer drugs out there that can complement? How to keep up diet and exercised? How to deal with all the emotional and psychological issues?

So overall there is no prognosis in how much time before things could regress....only that we have to see what my body can respond to and sustain. Here's where prayers and positive thoughts make a difference!

List of Current Therapies (for future discussion)
Conventional -Chemo therapy (3 weeks on 1 week rest)
Complementary
Weekly Iv's - glutathione and supplements
Hydrotherapy
Buteyko breathing
Modified Citrus Pectin (anti-cancer)
Venus Fly Trap (anti-Cancer)
Boswellia (anti-cancer)
Revereratrol (anti-cancer)
Supplements - pancreatic enzymes, vitamins, adrenal support, immune support
Body Talk
Energy, Psychic Healing
Ozone Therapy
Hart Boot Camp
Wellness Plan
Consultation on stresssors to my system, supplement and food program

Questions, Comments??

One of the things I'm supposed to be doing is watching funny movies, etc. - belly laugh or positive....Do you have some of your old time favorites?

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first post! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kerry! As for something that made me laugh, it was a book on tape called Wildfire, by Nelson DeMille, read by Scott Brick. I laughed so hard I nearly wrecked...still laughing when I got to work. Probably could check it out of the library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry, I had no trouble getting to your new blog; what a wonderful idea! John and I thought the movie "Hangover" was pretty silly and funny; we giggled lots. All your friends love you and are here for you when ever you need us.
    Hugs,
    Carol G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,

    I hope you are getting in lots of Lake time, also known to have curative powers!

    Two of my Old favorite comedies, Clue and Oscar. Oscar is a Sylvestor Stallone comedy. I know; hard to imagine!

    Thanks for the blog.

    Yours in XO! (now what does that mean?)

    Betty C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you're doing this, Kerry - I look forward to more, and to seeing you soon.

    Meanwhile, my movie suggestion may surprise you: it's Toy Story 3! I went with a young friend and don't know when I have so many deep belly laughs in a two hour period. So creative! If you haven't seen it already -- go! You'll love it, I guarantee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to laughing out loud . . . as often as possible.

    Kinky Boots
    The Full Monty
    My Cousin Vinny
    MASH (the movie)
    Blazing Saddles (or anything from Mel Brooks)
    Caddyshack
    Home Alone (this from my 79-year old mother)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerry, I thought of a couple other favorite comedies:

    La Cage aux Folles
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kerry: I am so glad to see you have this blog. You are such a great writer and this will help us keep up with what you are up to as well as have a chance to view your creative writing. I am enjoying reading the suggestions for fun movies and books. We can all use more laughter in our lives. Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the old (Peter Sellers) and new (Steve Martin) pink panthers are pretty silly and I always laugh at them. I'll think of a few more too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for starting this blog! Laughter is the best medicine!

    Strange Brew
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and original vacation

    Monroe says Shrek

    Drew, Megan, and Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kerry, Thanks for doing this. I think of you so often.
    For a laugh you can imagine Scot and I and my brother Skip three miles up the trail when the hail hit (the 1st time)on Saturday! Skip usually lives in Florida, and I was so happy to finally take him camping and hiking in the Bitteroots.
    We all got soaked, walked out, dried off, cooked food and chatted around the campfire for a while when....more hail, and bigger and faster!. We all took shelter under the camper awning and could not stop laughing, because Skip has been waiting for years to go camping with us! Lots of fun in this world if we can appreciate it. It's not always so easy I know.
    Love you tons.
    Lise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerry, I think this is a wonderful idea. Blogging is fabulous, for many reasons, and what a great way to build positive energy for you. We are certainly praying for you.
    As for funny movies, I recommend "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Because I Said So." Also, a funny blog, that always makes me laugh, is http://thepioneerwoman.com/. She's great!
    Love, Jill and Nick Taber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kerry, thanks so much for providing those of us who love you with a window into your "project." It is an act of generosity that I do not take for granted. For laughs, try Smokey and the Bandit (1977) and Smoke Signals (1998). Two very different approaches to humor, but each a classic in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kerry! Another movie that I watched that I laughed and laughed is "it's complicated." I loved all the toy story movies, especially 3, another cartoon movie that I liked a lot was Ratatouie (sp.?) I also liked the Hangover as it was crazy dumb, but truly funny! We head to Boise saturday to take furniture to Brook, then back Monday...on vacation the following week in the Flathead and Glacier. XXOO

    Genine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kerry - You're so 'right on'...we ain't damn cars! Saw Pat & Colin last night at the K-Ho - we're so blessed to have such great boys...know we've both said this many times! (: Hugs, good energy and prayers being sent your way. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kerry! I've been thinking about you alot and bling, I get this update through Tom... I have take great-wonderful Juice Plus in a capsule. Fruits and vegetables that Glen and I take everyday for a few years now. It is all natural and beats the messy juicing. For more info visit : www.JuicePlus.com/+bw21006

    Take care and lots of love and concern is sent your way. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. Cheers, Betty W

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thought I'd posted a comment last night and noq don't see it...go figure?! Nonetheless, glad you made the trip to J.H. and admire all the research you've done. So much to sort through to figure out which course fits you the best. I once remember thinking, as Dan went through treatment, how strange it was to have so many drugs, tests, etc. a part of my vocabulary.
    Congrats to Colin - heard the boys celebrated the other night. I know Matt McHugh was over-the-top happy to have passed.
    Sending love and energy your way, over the hills and through the woods. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kerry,
    sending good thoughts your way -remembered talking with beth about good movies to watch-have you seen Julie and Julia? It is hilarious,touching and just warm and fuzzy all over. love, angie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kerry, Loved your thoughts about travel. I'm a fan of Peter Hesslers and China as well. My brother has lived there for 10+ years and I was lucky enough to visit him, stopping in the town on the Yangzte where P.Hessler taught in the '90's. Another book you might enjoy - "Bones of the Master" by George Crane. Memoir of A buddhist monks return to China trying wanting to do honor to the bones of his master.

    PS. Dave the UPS guy, as I know him, stops by the house when he has an excuse to visit and we connect on our mutual friendship with you. You have given me a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The above blog was posted by Janet B-D, not John

    ReplyDelete