Sunday, October 31, 2010

Update for October 31



Happy Halloween!! Not sure if I'll go as my usual Ninja turtle (I like turtle energy) or something else from our costume box. I'll have to put something on Katie, our boxer, so she'll rememember this is a different occasion when people come to the door...not to scare them with the big bark!

Extreme Makeover! Since coming from my treatment in Houston, I feel as if I've been in recovery mode. My digestive system is constantly in some stop or start and challenge in feeling comfortable. Thus, this puts me on edge as far as plans to go somewhere, meet people, etc. Yet. overall, I feel well. As I mentioned, it's been wonderful to have my appetite back and I've been on a cooking streak...turkey lasagne, 5 hour stew, jambalya, pad thai, chicken lasagne, and yes....vegetables!!

As I go thru this body makeover, the house is also immersed in a makeover. The exterior facelift of removing the aluminimun and vinyl siding and replacing it with a beautiful wood porch cover and collumns and fly-tight hardy plank has ensued over the summer months. The living room has been out of commission because we replaced windows, changing carpet to wood floors and new cabinetry. Just this last week it has become more "in our face" as the entry way was full of scaffolding and being painted along with the living area. Now onto wood floors and more interior work.

All in all, it's been a good experience. It seems fitting to go thru a physical change in my home, as my body also goes thru physical change. Additionally, my cousin, Mac, is doing the work...see featured friends below!

Many of you ask if I'm still doing the chemo treatments here -- NO - I'm just doing the clinical trial out of Houston which are the periodic heat and chemo treatments. I've continued with my therapies with Joanna Lester and Debra Sharrock which don't interfere, but discontinued some of the supplements and efforts with Amy for the time being as Dr. Bull wants fewer possible conflicts.

During this last week, I've enjoyed a facial and massage from Joanne Synder (how wonderful!), visited with friends, dinner from the Jacksons (what loving energy!) and attended "Festival of the Book" featuring local authors. Thanks to Greg and Sue Super for the movie, "Some like it Hot" (Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon) - how fitting with my heat treatments!


Featured Friend(s) - Mac and Connie Campbell - What an interesting, synchronous, and supportive event! I feel like my Dad (who died in 2004) sent Mac (his nephew, my cousin) to work on this project. My Dad, who was so into family, mentored many of his nieces and nephews, but the relationships never stuck or became part of our family - we are an extended family on my Mother's side. Then, Mac and Connie, living in Seattle in 2006?, became close and visited each day at the Seattle Children's hospital where my cousin, Jami (my mother's side), was with her son, Levi at the Burn Center. There she and my other cousin, Genine, valued the "rock" that Mac and Connie provided.


I didn't even know that Mac did the kind of remodeling work that we needed done until last Christmas when we visited. He and Connie were amidst moving from Seattle to the Big Arm area near Flathead Lake. Connie took a transfer from Home Depot and now works in the Kalispell store. Thus, Mac is our contractor! My garage has never been cleaner or more organized and I've realized what a project we took on! Mac's got the expertise and handles all the extra help that we've needed. In going thru the treatments and efforts that I have, it's been nice to have someone here with a great sense of "down to earth". Connie has also made the occasional visit on days off and we've enjoyed doing some walking and she's got me going in making some wool felted slippers (we'll see!) Thanks Mac and Connie!

No comments:

Post a Comment