Saturday, August 14, 2010

Healing Systems


Healing Systems - As my naturopath, Amy Haynes, mentioned to me, the difficulty of my particular cancer is that it is systematic, thus the importance of treating the whole body - treating the system. Several therapies that I've been doing since May have been hydrotherapy and buteyko breathing. Here's a little info about each:


Hydrotherapy - is an age old remedy that engages the autonomic nervous system and the two branches: the sympathetic and the parasympathetic. The job of the sympathetic nervous system is to help your body deal with stress...the fight or flight response. The parasympathetic system repairs and rebuilds; responsible for digestion and its efficiency.

This therapy involves applying hot and cold packs on the core of my body and using electric currents to stimulate as well. I lay down under a warm wool blanket and a hot, wet towel is applied to my chest and abdomen for 5 minutes. Then, the fun starts when Dr. Sarah Lane, my other naturopath, replaces the warm with an icy, cold wet towel to what she terms, "a jump in Flathead Lake". I have that on for 15 minutes with the challenge of my body working to heat it up. Over time, I'm getting better at it. Meanwhile I have electrodes just below my shoulder blades on my back for electric stimulation. Then, the cold towel (warmed up hopefully) is removed and the electrodes are moved to stimulate the parasympathetic system which is front and back near my stomach for another 15 minutes. Then I flip over for a repeat of the hot and cold on my back.

I do 2-3 of these treatments a week with the goal of getting at least 50 treatments. Directly, they do stimulate my appetite...by the end, I have something I'm yearning to eat.

Buteyko Breathing - The theory and process was developed by a Russian and thus the name. It actually involves reduced breathing rather than one might think of a breathing technique. The purpose of breathing is to provide the body with sufficient oxygen and to remove excess carbon dioxide. When you run fast for any length of time, it would be appropriate to breathe heavily and quickly. Sitting in a chair, breathing heavily and deeply would be excessive or hyperventilation, because you don't need that much air to move in and out of your body when you are sitting.

The purpose is to regulate or balance the amount of CO2 and oxygen in your body. With too much oxygen, the oxygen tends to bind tighter to hemoglobin and is then less available to tissues. So the exercise that I do each day, helps me monitor my level. When I first started, I could hold my breath (controlled pauses) for about 11- 18 seconds. The goal is to be around 40 seconds and averaging above 35-second holds begins to affect your system and level of energy. In between the controlled pause tests, I practice reduced breathing for at least 5 minutes and one practice takes about 30 minutes. It's also great for meditation! I now average 36-42 seconds.

Featured Friend - As I get my pictures lined up, thought it would be nice to share some of my wonderful friendships and the people who keep me going! No order and certainly won't cover all of you who enter my thoughts and provide loving support!

Kathy P - She's my instigator in the boot camp and as I've realized, the catalyst in many of my ventures! My next door neighbor - we've taken our families to Ireland and England together, enjoyed wine country for our 25th wedding aniversaries, spent wonderful time in Paris and all the museums, survived the Smith River float with two 16-year olds, and took a tour of Russia in 2005. Kathy is always checking in....a great texter! Thanks Kathy!


Comments? Do you have any favorite "smoothie" or "juicing" recipe. I followed Olleke's lead and bought a vita-mixer and now have the challenge of adding this to my diet!




3 comments:

  1. Hi, Kerry. Great to have an update. My smoothie is totally simple: a cup of frozen blueberries,microwaved for 20 seconds to soften. Then I pour vanilla soymilk over them to "cover" and blend. The result is more spoon-able than drink-able and fills the niche I like to fill with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry! Here's a smoothie recipe for you...courtesy of my daily blog read: Iowa Girl Eats

    Green Monster
    * 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    * 1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds
    * 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
    * 1 Tablespoon almond butter
    * 1 frozen banana
    * enough spinach to fill the blender to the top!

    Combine all and blend until silky smooth. Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry: My favorite fruit smoothie is pretty basic: 1 cup of blueberries (I use 1/2 c. huckleberries even better); 1 cup rice milk; 1 banana; 4 ice cubes. Blend and enjoy!!! You get lots of potassium from the banana and antioxidants from the berries. Think I'll go make one right now! Love you, Sherry

    ReplyDelete