Sunday, September 12, 2010

Update for September 12


Update for September 12 - Whew! I missed a week in posting an update, and realize that it might be a likely occurrence given this journey!

As my cousin Mac was saying, "I think John has a new girlfriend...a Russian girlfriend named 'Nausea'" and yep that was me a week ago...."Nausea"! I didn't seem to have a day off and thus, didn't feel like coming to the computer to update my blog. I also think about things to write about...I wanted to write about my "Healing Team" and perhaps the thought of the time and effort, it would take to write it, also left me with little energy. So, I've recast all that....that my blog updates don't have to be all informative or on topics, but can be as little as just letting you know how I'm doing.

I'm doing well this week. Since Thursday when I received my last chemo, we've also added a new chemo drug in addition to the Gemzar, called Xeloda. I take it in pill form and will do so for 14 days barring particular side effects.

My spirits are good thanks to the attentive care of John and spending time with the boys, Molly, Maddy and friends and family. We've started the football season and having lived in a family of men, I enjoy the season; rooting on the Broncos and the Grizzlies. I continue to enjoy watching funny, entertaining movies...enjoyed Tina Fey and Steve Carrell in "Date Night"! I finished the 3rd Steig Larsson book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest" (not exactly positive, uplifting, but it has that woman warrior spirit) and am looking for a next read....suggestions?

Healing Team - Here's a shortened version that I can build upon, but I wanted to provide the picture:

Overall Wellness Coach - Pam Gardiner

Body:

Overall Health - Dr. Amy Haynes, ND. Supporter: Dr. Sarah Lane, ND

Oncology - Dr. Linda Ries

Physical Fitness - Cindy Hart - Adventure Boot Camp

Mind/Spirit:

Body Talk - Debra Shorrock

Energy, Psychic Healing - Joanna Lester

Soul work - Anita Doyle


Featured Friend - I was blessed to have a couple of visits from my long time friend, Janet Grove, while she visited from Phoenix while her husband, Dave, did a month long remodeling job for friends, Linda and Rob. Janet is that female warrior energy - in great physical shape and who has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh. We came to know one another in the Forest Service. A most memorable experience was spending a week hiking around on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge Forest (yes, for work!) looking at prospective Research Natural Areas. Janet was the ecologist guru and I the lackey who got out of my desk job for a week's experience and to drive her around. We hiked over trailless boulder fields up to one basin in the East Pioneers; looked for particular sagebrush type in the West Big Hole. In the evenings as we camped, she got out her botany books to type samples of the day and I lay exhausted in my sleeping bag! While she was here in July, we spent a lovely afternoon by the Bitterroot River in the shade of cottonwoods and caught up. Thanks Janet!


Comments/ Suggestions on books?

6 comments:

  1. It's great to have an update--however brief. And the photo is very cool. I enjoy remembering your telling me about that trip with Janet years ago. It clearly made a lasting impression. It is a lovely day and I know you are also enjoying the fall sun rising over the meadow. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am such a dud when it comes to suggesting books--all I read is nonfiction, and I think you are looking for something more imaginative. Oh well, I'll toss in Lance Armstrong...It's Not About the Bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry,
    Kate passed your blog link on to me. If there's anything you ever need in Helena let me know. I'd be happy to help you any way I can. You might be tired of people calling you an inspiration but there it is! As far as books go, The Book Thief has great warrior spirit and charm despite its Nazi Germany setting and The Peabody Sisters is a wonderful and very readable biography of said sisters. I send the very best wishes your way, Kris Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again. I've been second guessing myself and need to give you a cautionary warning about the Book Thief. It may be too intense for the moment. So instead how about In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Durant. Guaranteed to take you to another world. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Mists of Avalon" . . . women connecting with their own divinity and remembering the essential connection to the natural world. Even if you've read it before, it bears up.

    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two wonderful, wise, extremely funny book titles fell into my head last night and I found them today at Powell's, so I'll drop them into the mail for you. Have you read any of Anne Lamott? The two I'm sending are "Traveling Mercies" and "Grace (Eventually)." These are two of my all time favorites and both will make you laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete