Thursday, September 30, 2010

Update for September 30


This week has been one of making arrangements to go to Houston, Texas to try out for the Hyperthermia Clinical Trial. Thanks to John for the constant followup and scheduling, we leave for Houston on Sunday. Initially we'll meet with Dr. Joan Bull on Monday and then begin a series of tests...like catscan, blood work, heart test, chest x-ray, etc. If I'm in near the margins they may do some additional adjustment on Thursday or Friday. If I'm accepted, I could do the initial hyperthermia on Monday or Tuesday. I saw a picture - looks like you're in a body wrap for about 6 hours and are given chemo during the time. You're sedated to some extent to relieve the discomfort. This will be an interesting adventure and at least learn more about this trial.

Thought I'd give a little more info on one of my Healing Team:

Amy Haynes - Master Healer! I'm so fortunate to have Amy helping me out. I'm not a statistic with her, but an individual dealing with cancer. She told me last session that she's avoided taking on cancer patients, but now is getting back into it. She just attended a naturopathic session in Boulder, CO on cancer just last weekend. (She said she was star pupil and sat in the front row and asked all the questions!)

She's done a lot of research in my case and is the one who pushed John and I to look outside Missoula for complementary therapies. She proposed the consultation with Dr. Ralph Moss and from that consult, this particular clinical trial with Joan Bull emerged. While they do hyperthermia in Canada and Europe, Dr. Bull is the foremost leader in the U.S. It's a treatment that focuses on the whole body system and not just the tumor. I had initially thought that Amy's role would be one of more seeing how I was doing each week and giving me the supplements. But she's taken on much more in terms of the research, of calling people and exploring options and being somewhat the strategist in our operation. She's clarified John's and my role - my focus on maintaining my health to the extent possible and to make the decisions about treatments...and John and the boys to help out with research and logistics. That's been so welcome to me since I don't have much capacity (emotionally) for the research and energy to do the contacting and follow-up.

I first went to see Amy in the 1980"s after taking her class in alternative health. She cleared up my continuous sinus infections and then helped me raise the boys thru their childhood years without using anti-biotics for the multiple colds and flus. I've always admired her whole body approach (mind, body, spirit) and the way she uses her intuition as well as medical knowledge. There are so many more tools in the toolbox with natural medicines, acupuncture, etc. than with conventional and primary reliance on pharmaceutical drugs.....although a definite place for those tools as well. Thank you Amy!

Featured Friends - Toni and Bob Ogg These are relatively recent (within the last five years) friends of ours. John got to know Bob thru golfing. They invited us to a weekend at their Whitefish place and introduced us to hiking in Glacier Park. I remember our first hike was to Avalanche Lake. As we were heading back from the 2 mile hike, John tripped on a tree root. As he was falling forward, he grabbed onto Bob and poor Bob cushioned his fall! John maybe surprised them that his athleticism doesn't cover hiking! We were fortunate that they forgave us for this and we've had some marvelous hikes (Highline trail, Siyeh pass, Grinnell Glacier) each year! We've had great conversations, laughs and times together. Bob keeps John's spirits going....going for coffee in the morning. Toni has been a great friend and supporter during this health challenge. She's a wonderful cook and bolstered my menu with vegetable soup, clam chowder, turkey tetrazini, etc. Thanks to Toni and Bob - we are blessed by your friendship!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kerry - You've been on my mind a lot these days. Hope all goes well in Houston - sounds like quite the adventure! We'll all be waiting for your report on your return. Hugs, Anita xox

    ReplyDelete